Although this may appear as a small news item tucked away in a corner of a local newspaper in Mysore, larger issues are bound to arise in a Kannadiga’s mind on reading this. KARNATIQUE lists a few of these and requests its readers to think about the nature & magnitude of Hindi imposition that is happening in India and its impact on the non-Hindi speaking population.
- Why should Hindi be the official language for transactions of the Government of India with states that are not Hindi speaking?
- Why can we not have translators to translate correspondence (official transactions) between Government of India & respective State Governments? Isn’t it more sensible to have translators who know Hindi & the language of the state than to train all the officers from non-Hindi speaking states, in Hindi?
- What is the message that is being conveyed to the people of non-Hindi speaking states by this type of Hindi imposition? In spite of Hindi speaking population of India being less 30%, why should Hindi be provided special status as one of the official language for transactions of Government of India with states that are not Hindi speaking?
- Why is Government of India spending precious tax-payer's money on Hindi prachar sabhas and other such sundry organizations to popularize usage of Hindi in schools, colleges & offices in non-Hindi states?
- Why do we have Parliamentary sub committee/s reviewing Hindi implementation (imposition) across India ? Why do we have Parliamentary sub committee/s spending precious tax-payer’s money to travel all the way to Mysore / Siliguri / Jamnagar / Itanagar to check for the implementation of Hindi in Government of India offices in those locations & to provide guidelines to the local units of the central government institutions on usage of Hindi in their official business?
- What type of mindset does the slogan that "Kannada at home & Rajbhaasha in office" indicate? Doesnt it indicate a mindset that Kannada as a language is deemed fit for only household communication and not for official administration? Is it not being done to reinforce the false notion in Kannadigas that Hindi is the "Rajbhaasha" and Kannada the "Aduge mane bhaashe".