Wrote book, will blog now!

I just finished writing the book. It's tentatively titled The Pyramid of Corruption. The book addresses corruption which lies in the definition of India's systems of politics and commerce. This is the corruption which is unleashed when those systems are faithfully adhered to, not when deviated from. I will keep you posted on developments. It is not published yet. It became longer than I expected - about 380 pages of 5.5' x 8.5' size.

All that writing in English made me yearn for writing in Kannada. So, I have started a Kannada blog called YANDALLI (ಯಾಂದಳ್ಳಿ). I invite you to take a look at it. It has its own Facebook page, too. I hope to write regularly on it.

Karnatique is receiving an encouraging response from readers even though it hasn't really been active for nearly one and a half years now. So, I think I will write here too, after all. But I believe it is going to be less regular than on Yandalli because I believe there is much more for me to do in Kannada than English right now.

The book has taught me a lot about writing in general.

One important lesson I learnt is the difference between a blog and a (nonfiction) book: the former is a dump of the author's thought, while the latter is the grammar of the author's thought, i.e., the rules which govern the author's thought. These rules are not easily available for the author. The author has to mine his or her mind for that grammar, and it is never going to be a perfect description of his or her thought. That grammar can improve over time, and will if the author puts his or her mind to it. And of course, the author's thoughts tend to change with time.

Also, a blog is event-driven, i.e., an event occurs and the blogger pours out his mind on it. A nonfiction book is not like that. It is not event-driven, but theory-driven. That is, a nonfiction book needs to be centered around theories which describe the rules which govern the author's thoughts about the events that drove him to write the book.

I must, of course, thank the great Kannada linguist, Dr. D. N. Shankar Bhat, for making me realize what really a grammar is.

5 comments:

Jai Veerupaksha said...

Welcome back Kiran

Jai Veerupaksha said...

Gr8 to see you back Kiran :-)

Harsha Gatt said...

ಬ್ಲಾಗ್ ದುನಿಯಾಗೆ ಮತ್ತೆ ಸ್ವಾಗತ :-)

Bharath said...

soopar yaandaLLi.. people in mysuru will be familiar to 'yandaLLi' than anybody else :)

ashwini bhat said...

keep writing!!!

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...